Wednesday 31 March 2010

Blue

It's spring. That means a lot of blue flowers in my garden right now. Scilla, Muscari, Hyacinth and also the first Pulmonaria or Lungwort. I have many different variaties in my garden of this lovely perennial but today I painted one of my favourites. Pulmonaria angustifolia. It has extremely blue flowers (although the buds have a rich magenta colour) and the leaves are green (not variegated like most Lungworts). It was a quick study and a small one but I loved to try and catch that electric blue colour.

Pulmonaria angustifolia

To get the right colour I used French Ultramarine, a bit of Violet and a little Paynes grey. To make the perfect colour for the shadow (in the blue) I mixed French Ultramarine with Cadmium Red. A wonderful mossy green I got by mixing Paynes Grey with Raw Umber. A really nice surprise that was :)

3 comments:

JANE MINTER said...

sigrid you've captured it beautifully they really are so v bright blue

Sigrid Frensen said...

Thanks, Jane! It's always a challenge to do such bright colours.

A Brush with Color said...

What a lovely breath of springtime here. Beautiful, Sigrid.