Thursday 12 April 2012

A Bulb Drawing and Some News

A lot has happened lately. Really... a lot. I'm happy to say it's all quite positive. I finished a bulb drawing today, an interview about me and my art was published in Noorderland magazine, I finally built my new website (and it works!!!!) and I'll be teaching in a new course about drawing botanical art with coloured pencils. It's a lot.

First of all, let me show you the drawing. It's done in coloured pencil and it's a Crocosmia 'Lucifer' bulb which I pulled out of my garden this week. The contrast of the died leaves and the new, toxic green sprout is so nice. Well, I like it anyway :P

It wasn't an easy thing to draw in coloured pencil. I think it would have been more easy if I had used only graphite pencils. The hardest part of it was the fibre, straw-like part above the bulb and between the two dead leaves. White thin sprigs. Many of them too... Ah well, I managed it somehow and I'm rather pleased with the result too. That doesn't happen so often.

So... then there's the article, 6 full pages in a very nice magazine, Noorderland. A large interview, a lot of my drawings (nicely printed) and nice photos of stuff in my studio and also of me. So if you live in the Netherlands or there about, have a look.


Now, because I was going to feature in this big article I really had to update my website. And because I'm such a stubborn person that always knows best and never likes prefab website designs, I wanted to build it myself. I'm happy now with the style and all I need now is to build a little e-store to sell cards, prints and other stuff. So if you haven't done it already, please have a look at it. Some feedback is always nice ;)

www.sigridfrensen.com
Finally the 6-day-drawing-course. That will be (I really hope I get enough students for this) next June in the botanical garden "De Kruidhof" in Buitenpost. On my website is a folder with more info. It will be six days in three weeks time. I'm looking forward to it... sitting in the gardens there, peacefully struggling with all the plant material, trying hard to get it all down on paper.... Aaaaah..... splendid!


5 comments:

Joan Y said...

I am totally ecstatic for you! It really warms my heart to know you are receiving the recognition you deserve. And you know I would have been the first person to sign up for your course, if I lived in the Netherlands!

Cathy Holtom said...

Your website looks great and it's easy to find your way round, well done!
Congratulations on the magazine article too.

Jarnie Godwin said...

Congratulations on all of these wonderful achievements, you must be very pleased with the results. Your drawing is fabulous, so much texture. And your website looks good too.

Jennifer said...

Gefeliciteerd met al die leuke dingen! Je website ziet er goed uit.
Ik ben een grote bewonderaar van je werk. Ik vind het altijd knap hoe je zoveel details aan je tekeningen geeft. Ik zou het niet eens durven om zo'n bloembol te tekenen, omdat ik niet weet wat ik met al die details aan moet.

Helaas is Friesland voor mij echt te ver weg. (en er moet ook nog gewoon 40 uur gewerkt worden) Kan je niet een kortere cursus komen geven in de botanische tuin in Rotterdam?

Cecca said...

Congratulations on the magazine article, it looks fantastic.
Your revamped website looks beautiful, really perfectly elegant and fitting to your style. I love your latest bulb drawing too, stunning! :-)