Thursday 24 February 2011

First Crocus

Spring is coming slowly this way. Yesterday I dug up a Crocus from my garden. Once inside I could almost see it grow. Even though I was in the middle of another drawing I had to be quick and paint this fast. So, with a piece of thread around the petals, I painted it last night.

Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant'

This is Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant'. Really odd name for this Crocus since it is not Ruby red nor is it a giant. It's small and purple. Little gems they are, they were right about that.
And like a friend of mine said to me last night, it's like she's putting her arms up in the air to celebrate spring is here at last!

7 comments:

bellis perennis said...

prachtig deze lente bode dekleur zo mooi gevangen groet Jacky

AtelierBrigitte said...

Prachtig neergezet!! Mooi, dat paars ook.

Jennifer said...

De bloem glimt zo mooi! Heel mooi gedaan.
Heerlijk die crocusjes, nu moet het wel snel lente gaan worden.

Robyn Sinclair said...

What a delight to discover your website, Sigrid. I can see myself spending many delightful hours here. I'm sure I'm not the first to say your botanical paintings are fantastic.

RSA Certificate said...

Love the shades in the "ruby giant"!

JANE MINTER said...

perfect sigrid

Isabel said...

Beautiful picture.......is it really a drawing?