Monday 14 February 2011

Spring is coming!


The very first sign of spring for me is when the Hazel (Corylus avellana) in my back garden starts to flower. The large yellow-green catkins dangling in the wind always make me smile. So fun that the male (the large greenish worms) and female (tiny red fluffy bits) catkins flower on the same twig.

I wanted to paint a larger twig than this but got a bit bored by the catkins. To be honest, I started to paint it very detailed but soon got lazy. And since I was doing it for fun I made a bit impressionistic catkins. At the end I put in some sharper details and shadows. I think I got away with it :P

3 comments:

bellis perennis said...

Weet niet of je nederlands spreekt maat vind de cyppres appel prachtig gemaakt Deze van de hazelaar vind ik ook mooi, maar iets minder Heb voor het eerst dit jaar de vrouwelijke bloempjes gezien daarvoor nooit gezien groetjes Jacky

Cathy Holtom said...

Beautiful and springlike!

Brigitte@KlasseImGarten said...

I came to your blog via your flickr pages, high quality work indeed. You're catching the spirit of the plants, for my eyes.